Caring for your Artificial Eye
If you have a full artificial eye prosthesis, remove it every two months. Soak the eye in warm, soapy water for a few minutes. This softens any protein build-up that may have accumulated on the polished surface. Using a soft cloth, firmly rub the eye to remove this deposit. Rinse well in clean water to remove all traces of the soap then re-insert back into the eye socket.
IMPORTANT: If you have a scleral shell, remove it each night and also clean it as above.
- Do not use any chemical or abrasive cleansers on your prosthesis.
- Never use rubbing alcohol. The use of this liquid will crack the surface of the prosthesis.
- If any problems arise, please contact your ophthalmologist or ocularist.
- Return to your ocularist once a year to have the eye polished and to provide an opportunity for the prosthesis to be evaluated.
- ALWAYS plug the sink if you are cleaning your eye over it so it doesn't fall down the drain!