Welcome to our Practice
Marie Allen Ocularist has been in business for over 35 years, our passionate and experienced staff strive to provide you with the highest level of care for your ocular prosthetic needs. Whether requiring a full prosthesis, or scleral shell to cover a blind, disfigured globe, we invite you to our office where we work together to create a natural, comfortable result.
Every prosthesis is custom made and hand painted to match the natural eye of the individual. Our caring, understanding and respectful approach ensures that our patients are completely comfortable with all aspects of the procedure and their experience is a positive one.
For your convenience, we offer two locations in the lower mainland - Vancouver and Burnaby. We invite you to call us, book an appointment, or discuss your specific treatment options. We look forward to beginning a conversation about the process of creating a prosthesis for you.
Do not use hand sanitizer or any alcohol based cleaner on the prosthesis, as it will crack the acrylic
As a response to COVID-19, we have implemented changes to our procedures as required by WorkSafe BC. We encourage our patients to familiarize themselves with the new safety plans as well as the questions you will be required to answer during in-person appointments.
Updated: Jan 5, 2021
- Patients to arrive within 5 minutes of appointment time, no earlier, to reduce number of people in waiting room
- Patients with appointments at the Burnaby location will be asked to wait outside the office until their scheduled appointment time to allow the previous patient to exit the facility and cleaning of the clinic. Patients will be taken directly into the clinic room.
- All patients must answer COVID-19 Screening Questions prior to or at the time of their scheduled appointment
- If patients answer “no” to all questions, staff will direct them to the waiting area or directly into the treatment if possible
- If patients answer “yes”, staff will reschedule their appointment for a minimum of 10 days later, and will be advised to call 8-1-1 or contact their medical doctor for further evaluation.
- Sanitisation of hands upon entering building and clinic room is required
- All staff, patients and personnel must wear a mask (covering chin and nose) for the duration of appointment
- No patient escort permitted unless absolutely necessary (ie, parents of child, translator,care aid)
- Plexiglass barriers are installed at work stations between Ocularist and patient
Please note, we will have to work around the plexiglass barrier when inserting/removing your artificial eye, examining the socket, taking an impression in order to fabricate your artificial eye. Proper P.P.E will be worn by Ocularist for your health and safety
- Full cleaning of all surfaces, touch points, and tools used after every appointment
Cleaning done as per solution instructions. Mask and gloves worn during cleaning process
- Instruments that have been exposed to patients socket must be cold sterilized in Gluterate solution overnight, as per normal procedure and recommendations of the product
- Unnecessary office materials have been removed from clinic (ie, magazines, children’s toys, extra pens)
- Paperwork to be completed remotely when possible
- Staff sign in required daily stating they can answer “ no” to all COVID Screening questions
If staff member unable to answer, they will be required to work from home until they are healthy and eligible to work according to the 811/WorkSafe/Ministry of Health guidelines
- If new cold/flu symptoms appear during office hours, staff members must be picked up by a household member and taken directly home. Staff will be advised to call 811, and work from home until healthy
- Staff to maintain social distancing in office as much as possible
- Masks worn in all common areas and when interacting with co-workers and patients
- Masks, gloves, scrubs, eye protection to be worn when seeing patients
- All materials exposed to patients socket (ie, wax patterns, painting shells, and prostheses) must be disinfected with bleach (wipes or 10 minute soak),germicide wipe, and cleaned for 20 seconds with antibacterial soap and water before continuing with lab work
- All polishing trays and mops to be cleaned and disinfected daily
- Appointment schedule has been altered to facilitate adequate time for cleaning procedures
COVID-19 Symptom Screening Questions:
Each patient is required to read and answer the following questions upon arrival to their appointment in order to maintain health and safety of office staff and patients. Please read carefully and answer the following questions:
- Do you have cold or flu-like symptoms including fever, cough, chills, sore throat, muscle pain, shortness of breath or new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you been in close contact with anyone who currently has any of these symptoms tested positive for COVID-19?
- Have you or anyone in your household traveled anywhere outside of Canada in the last two weeks?
- Have you or anyone in your household traveled anywhere outside of BC or Yukon in the last two weeks?
- Are you currently under direction of the provincial health officer to self-isolate?
If unable to answer no to any of these questions, please call 811 for further assistance. Your appointments will be rescheduled to a minimum of 14 days from today. Thank you for your understanding.
Our Ocular Prosthetics Clinic
I developed an infection behind my artificial eye, two years ago. It was so severe that surgery was the only way to remove it. Unfortunately, along with the infection, the implant that gave my eye volume and movement, had to be removed as well. I spent 2 years with only a conformer, but it was noticeable. I finally went to see Marie who came up with a solution that is both natural and more appealing. Thanks Marie.
Having my blind and painful eye removed was a life altering decision. To spend my days working and playing without pain is something I have not known for years. My new eye is very comfortable and my family, friends and co-workers are surprised at the quality and how perfectly it matches my natural eye.
I was eight years overdue for a replacement artificial eye. I wasn't aware of the slow facial changes that took place creating misplaced angles and position of my prosthesis because I resigned myself to the one I had. Rob clarified my concerns and the reality that I was living with an old prosthesis, when a better result could be achieved with a new eye. He put an end to a number of my misplaced concerns as we came up with an approach tailored to my realities. The new prosthesis has allowed me to interact with people with a renewed confidence and personal comfort, that to me is priceless. He made the eye with a modern technique that creates a perfect fit and comfort. I don't know what more I could have asked for! Thanks, Rob!
After moving to Victoria from Toronto, I was in need of a new artificial eye and was recommended to Marie Allen at the Eye Clinic.
I have had many artificial eyes since childhood and this is one of the most comfortable and beautiful looking eyes. I work in the public and feel very confident with my eye. Marie is wonderful to work with and makes you feel very comfortable.